Newborn Session Prep Guide
What To Expect:
Your newborn session is geared to make sure that you, your family and your precious newborn are comfortable and relaxed the entire session. Depending on which package you select, you can expect to be in my studio for 2-4 hours. I always start my sessions at 10:30am because in my experience, your newborn is likely the most sleepy and calm in the morning. Sleepy, calm babies are ideal for studio photos and posing.
Here are some tips to help make your session run smoothly:
- Try and keep baby awake and stimulated for 1-2 hours prior to your session, including the car ride to my studio.
- If possible, delay feeding your baby prior to your session, when you arrive you will feed your baby which will help them get into a nice, deep sleep.
- If your baby is breastfeeding and is a slow feeder, consider pumping and bringing a bottle. In my experience some babies can nurse for up to an hour and this can drastically delay your session.
- Have baby dressed in a zip up onesie that is easy to remove.
- Just baby (Magnolia Package Only)- naked/outfit, baby will be posed on a sturdy posing table with the fabric backdrop of your choice.
- Baby wrapped and posed in props, baskets, on the flokati etc
- Sibling and parent photos
What To Wear
Your newborn session is the perfect opportunity to capture beautiful, timeless photographs while your baby is still brand new. My photographs are minimalistic and focus on your baby surrounding by their loving family who has welcomed them into the world. I highly recommend wearing neutral tones, have nails and hands tidy and neat as they will be visible, and wear natural makeup and tidy hair. I offer a selection of soft, neutral dresses for both moms, younger children and babies that all clients have access to.
How long will my session take?
Your session will take anywhere from 2-4 hours, depending on the baby, if they are settled and what type of session you have booked.
Do you provide outfits and props?
Yes! I have a large selection of props, outfits, textures and fabrics for you to choose from.
What happens if my baby won't settle?
My sessions are baby led, that means that they will eat when they are hungry and we will do our best to gently settle them. Sometimes awake photos will be taken and are a lovely addition.
How far in advance should I book?
The earlier the better :) We pencil you in using your due date to reserve your spot and all you need to do is contact us when babe arrives.
How long does it take to get my final images?
Preview photos are generally posted to my social media within 24 hours of your session. Your final edited album will be ready within 2-3 weeks.